campaign for globes



I was talking, a couple of days ago, with some friends about our shared love for maps and it reminded me of my love for the Scandinavian artist Rune Guneriussen. Maybe I am going "map" overboard on my blog (since it now seems that 2 of the only 6 posts are about maps), but I couldn't resist posting this image.

I'm attracted to the dark, Nordic sky and charmed by the comforting glow of our worlds next to the sea. It reminds me of the semester I spent living in Denmark and makes me think that this photo was probably taken when the sun began to set- likely to be around 1pm.

Also, this image reaffirms my strong belief that every child should have a globe lamp. Think of the retort you would have, when your European friends tease you about the lack of geographical knowledge they think Americans have. "Does every child in your country have a globe lamp? I think not."

Visit Rune Guneriussen to see other fantastic photos: http://www.runeguneriussen.no/index.html