The book business

Did you know that Manhattan Island was purchased by the Dutch from the Lenape Native Americans for the, rather low, price of 60 guilders? That's about 1000 bucks today. And what can you buy in New York for 1000 bucks now?

Could you afford a one bedroom flat in New York's Upper West Side? Internet rental sites tell me no. They tell me it costs more than 2000 dollars per month. NYC is not so cheap anymore.

This worried me a bit, as I strolled along the streets of the Upper West Side on my recent visit to the big apple. There were no signs of Meg, Tom or Brinkley. And, also, no Dave Chappelle working as a clever, bookstore owner's assistant.

It's obviously clear- every character in You've Got Mail is now out of work and living on a small boat in the Hudson River. The bookstore business has hit hard times. First Borders and then, what's next? Barnes and Noble?

The internet has taken over all book sales and exchanges, but I'm hoping the death of the big box stores will allow The Shop Around the Corner to resurface. Smaller stores with less inventory and a bit more character. It might be a welcome change. Especially if Meg Ryan is working behind the counter.